Starting school is a huge milestone for kids of all ages. It can be a bit daunting, but with the right preparation it can be a smooth transition. One of the most important things kids need to be successful in school is good handwriting skills. In this blog post, we will give you 5 handy tips that will help your kids get ready for school and improve their handwriting!
Many people believe that early writing is just scribbling, and that it is not important how a child forms their letters. However, new research is showing that early writing is actually quite important for brain development. When children are first learning to write, they are developing the motor skills needed to control a pencil. This helps to develop coordination and fine motor skills. In addition, early writing helps children to learn how to form letters correctly. This is important because when children are able to see their letters correctly formed, they are more likely to want to continue practicing their handwriting. As a result, good handwriting can help children to succeed in school and beyond.
Here are five handy tips to help your preschooler get ready for school and improve their handwriting:
1. Get them a school-themed notebook or journal. This will get them excited about school and help them practice their writing at the same time.
2. Help them trace letters and numbers. Start with the alphabet and then move on to simple numbers. This will help them develop the muscle memory they need for good handwriting.
3. Encourage them to use different colour crayons or markers. This will help them stay focused while they’re writing and also make their work more visually appealing.
4. Write simple words or phrases for them to copy. This can be things like their name, address, or favourite food. As they become more confident with their handwriting, you can challenge them with longer words or sentences.
5. Help them practice writing in a straight line. This is an important skill for both schoolwork and handwriting. You can use a ruler or draw dashed lines for them to follow. With a little practice, they’ll be forming neat, straight letters in no time!
It is evident that good handwriting skills are important for success in school and beyond. In this blog post, we have shared five handy tips to help your preschooler get ready for school and improve their handwriting. These tips are simple but effective, and with a little practice your child will be writing like a pro!
More Handwriting is part of More Curricular, an award-winning specialist provider of handwriting training and research-led assessment and learning tools for UK children and parents. We are passionate about helping children develop good handwriting skills so they can flourish at school and beyond. Our products are backed by research, loved by parents & teachers alike!